Applying insolvency law expertise and diverse skills to protect our clients’ interests.
In bankruptcy cases and a myriad of other settings where the solvency of a party is an issue, the firm’s interdisciplinary practice leverages the firm’s strong depth of talent in bankruptcy and creditors’ rights, lending, litigation, private equity and securities, real estate, and healthcare.
Diverse Bankruptcy Experience
Our attorneys have considerable experience handling engagements for every kind of constituency participating in business bankruptcy cases, including:
- Official committees of creditors and informal creditor groups
- Litigation and liquidation trustees
- Institutional lenders
- Equipment lenders and lessors
- Private equity funds
- Asset purchasers
- Trade creditors
- Landlords and lessors
- Debtors in possession
- Owners and managers of Chapter 11 debtors
- Avoidance action defendants
- Purchasers and sellers of bankruptcy claims and loans to distressed companies
Healthcare Industry Focus
The firm has particularly strong experience in bankruptcy cases in the healthcare industry. Martin Bunin and other Farrell Fritz attorneys have represented numerous official committees of unsecured creditors and owners and management groups in bankruptcy cases of hospitals, nursing homes, and other healthcare providers. Kristina Wesch and her colleagues have counseled institutions that have acquired healthcare businesses through bankruptcy asset sales.
Just as frequently, Farrell Fritz handles engagements in insolvency matters outside the bankruptcy context, such as:
- Loan workouts
- Access to capital or refinancing outside of a bankruptcy
- UCC Article 9 sales
- Prosecuting and defending commercial mortgage loan foreclosures
- Obtaining and enforcing money judgments
- Winding down of insolvent businesses without bankruptcy relief
- Receiverships, including serving as counsel for federal equity receivers
- Assignments for the benefit of creditors
- Counsel lenders, including commercial banks, real estate funds, REITs, indenture trustees, and investors in distressed situations, with respect to defaulted loans, loan restructurings, and workouts both in and out of bankruptcy.
- Represent buyers and sellers in their acquisition or disposition of distressed real estate and other assets.
- Advise clients in the LSTA and LMA trading market for par and distressed bank loans as well as the claims trading market. In connection with loan trading, the firm counsels clients from the initial due diligence through closing of the trade and often continues such representation through the implementation of strategies relating to the restructuring of the acquired debt. Our knowledge of private equity, securities law, tax considerations and ERISA law allows Farrell Fritz to provide guidance with respect to all facets of acquiring and holding the financial asset.
- Represent firm partner Peter Zlotnick in his role as a federal equity receiver in consumer fraud federal equity receiverships for the Federal Trade Commission, serving as his counsel in connection with several recent cases.