Martin G. Bunin concentrates his practice on bankruptcy and restructuring and healthcare. He represents committees in Chapter 11 cases, with an emphasis on unsecured creditors’ committees in cases filed by hospitals and other healthcare businesses, resort hotels, manufacturers, service businesses and owners of real estate. Additionally, Marty is a mediator in bankruptcy and bankruptcy-related disputes in the Southern District of New York and elsewhere.
Previously, he was a bankruptcy and financial restructuring partner at Alston & Bird.
- Represented the unsecured creditors’ committees in MSR Resort Golf Course LLC, et al. (S.D.N.Y.), Grubb & Ellis Company (S.D.N.Y.), St. Francis Hospital (S.D.N.Y.). HHH Choices Health Plan (S.D.N.Y.), Sound Shore Medical Center (S.D.N.Y.), Our Lady of Mercy Medical Center (S.D.N.Y.), Forum Health (N.D. Ohio), Saint Vincent Catholic Medical Centers of New York (S.D.N.Y., 2005–2007), Restora Healthcare (D. Del.), Cabrini Medical Center (S.D.N.Y.), Sumner Regional Health System (M.D. Tenn.), Vanderveer Estates Holding, LLC (E.D.N.Y.), Guilford Mills, Inc. (S.D.N.Y.), American Tissue, Inc. (D. Del),Noble Drew Ali Plaza Housing Corp. (S.D.N.Y.), Med Diversified, Inc. (E.D.N.Y.), International Total Services, Inc. (E.D.N.Y.), Hawaii Medical Center (D. Hawaii), New York United Hospital Medical Center (S.D.N.Y.), Parkway Hospital (S.D.N.Y.), and the Section 1114 Retiree Committee of the U.S. Airways (E.D. Va.).
- Counseled the Chapter 11 plan administrator or liquidating trustee in St. Francis Hospital (S.D.N.Y.), Interfaith Medical Center (E.D.N.Y.), Caritas Health Care (E.D.N.Y.) and Med Diversified (E.D.N.Y.).
- Represented the committee of equity security holders in the Chapter 11 cases filed by Spectrum Brands, Inc., and affiliates (W.D. Texas).
- Advised Harrison J. Goldin, as examiner of Enron North America Corp., in his investigation into three financial institutions and an accounting firm involved in special-purpose-entity transactions of Enron Corp. (S.D.N.Y.).
- Represented creditors and contract counterparties in the Enron Corp. Chapter 11 cases (S.D.N.Y.), including Calpine Corporation and affiliates (co-counsel), Northwest Natural Gas Company, TXU Corporation and affiliates (co-counsel) and Metso Paper USA, Inc.
- Counseled Chapter 11 debtor BMI Transportation, Inc. and 22 subsidiaries, formerly the largest domestic bulk transport company (S.D.N.Y.); Chapter 11 debtor CIC Acquisition Corporation, a provider and manager of laundry equipment and related services, in a successful prepackaged Chapter 11 case confirmed in 37 days (D. Del); and the Chapter 11 trustee of Olga Company (S.D.N.Y.), a captive coal producer owned by three steel companies.
- New York University School of Law
- Wesleyan University
- U.S.D.C., Southern District of New York
Affiliations & Appointments
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association