Wealth Advisory Conference
June 20, 2019
RXR Conference Room
400 RXR Plaza
Uniondale, NY 11556
Intended Audience: Accountants and Financial Planners
4:00pm - 7:30pm
Avoiding Litigation Over a Power of Attorney: Important Considerations for both the Principal and Agent
Presenter: Brian P. Corrigan, Esq.
- Gifting of the principal’s assets
- Compensation of the agent
- Ability of an agent to amend the principal’s trust agreements
- Effectively terminating the agency
- The agent’s obligation to account judicially
- A Perilous Crossroad: the agent’s actions during principal’s lifetime vs. the inheritance interests and expectations of others in the principal’s estate
Trusts: 5 Key Distinctions Every Accountant & Financial Planner Should Appreciate
Presenter: Joseph T. La Ferlita, Esq.
- Revocable trusts vs. irrevocable trusts: in what situations does each make sense for our clients?
- Grantor trusts vs. non-grantor trusts: what is the difference, what are the potential benefits of grantor trust status, why many professionals misdiagnose grantor trust status, problems encountered in turning off grantor trust status.
- GST exempt trusts vs. GST non-exempt trusts: when should GST exemption be allocated affirmatively, when is it automatically allocated, and how investment & distributions for exempt vs. non-exempt trusts should differ.
- NY resident trusts vs. non-NY resident trusts: what makes a trust subject to NY fiduciary income tax, and how can a NY trust be exempt from NY tax?
- Silent/quiet trusts vs. fully-disclosed trusts: can we keep the trust a secret from the beneficiaries?
Qualified Opportunity Funds (QOF): What They Are, and Estate Planning Options
Presenter: Louis Vlahos, Esq.
- What is a QOF?
- Investing in a QOF
- Deferral of taxable gain
- Elimination of taxable gain
- What to look out for
- How to incorporate into an estate plan
Registration: 4:00 p.m.; Program: 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Reception to follow.
Participants will receive 2 CPE or CFP credits.
CPE credits: 1 in Taxation and 1 in Advisory Services.