Helping providers cope with complex transactions and ever-changing regulations. Health Law
In a heavily regulated and rapidly changing healthcare industry, health care companies and professionals need knowledgeable, experienced legal counsel to guide them through the maze of government regulations. They need strong advocates to negotiate corporate transactions, buy/sell agreements, affiliations and contracts. In addition, healthcare consumers and providers often need advocates with industry-specific experience to deal with HMOs, insurance companies and other payers on issues such as coverage and reimbursement. On Long Island, in Albany and in the New York metropolitan area, they find what they need in the health law attorneys at Farrell Fritz.
Defending itself against federal allegations of Medicare overcharges could have been an expensive and time-consuming process for a cardiology group, had it not been for...
Defending itself against federal allegations of Medicare overcharges could have been an expensive and time-consuming process for a cardiology group, had it not been for...Read more
Our practice encompasses representation in transactional and regulatory matters, litigation and corporate counseling. We understand the industry, the laws and the regulatory bodies that govern them. Our healthcare team includes attorneys who have worked within healthcare facilities, government agencies and the top New York City law firms. They possess a solid working knowledge of the interactions between the healthcare sector and the laws regulating the marketplace.
We help providers – including hospitals, physicians and other healthcare professionals, physician groups, treatment centers and managed care organizations of every type – meet their strategic goals. Our attorneys provide guidance on complex transactions including corporate structure and reorganization, mergers and acquisitions, financing and joint ventures. We help clients deal with government regulations such as federal and state fraud and abuse laws, anti-kickback laws, self-referral laws and professional practice laws.
Farrell Fritz defends healthcare professionals in numerous administrative and judicial settings, including the imposition of civil monetary penalties, threatened exclusion from the Medicare and Medicaid programs, termination from insurance plans, allegations of false claims or misconduct, and claims audits.
Our healthcare clients benefit from the wide range of experience throughout the firm. In connection with a particular transaction, our attorneys may consult with their colleagues who have experience in corporate and finance, land use, tax, real estate, litigation, governmental relations and employment law to ensure thorough consideration of all relevant issues.
- Represented a Long Island hospital in its agreement to provide cardiac catheterization laboratory services to a major medical center. The joint venture utilizes our client’s expertise in cardiovascular care and has enhanced the medical center’s capacity to provide care and services to people in its community.
- Counseled several Long Island hospitals in connection with physician practice affiliations throughout Long Island in the specialties of cardiology, interventional cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery, gastroenterology, obstetrics and gynecology, internal medicine, pediatrics and family medicine.
- Represented an interventional cardiology group in successfully negotiating its employment and joint venture relationships with a leading cardiac care hospital.
- Advised home care agencies, medical practices and a regional durable medical equipment company on Medicare and Medicaid audits and Office of Inspector General (OIG) and Office of the Medicaid Inspector General (OMIG) self-disclosures.
- Currently serve as general counsel to a regional health system, providing advice on governance, regulatory issues, contracts, affiliations, compliance, and risk management.
- Counseled hospital hearing committees on physician suspension and termination matters under hospital bylaws.
- Assisted a seller in the sale of a major medical and home care supply business located in Queens, New York.
- Represented a Long Island hospital in connection with a $30 million line-of-credit facility and a $15 million mortgage loan.
- Advised a hospital system in a joint venture involving an ambulatory surgery center dedicated to providing gastroenterology services.
- Advised a Long Island hospital in connection with the acquisition of a multi-million dollar robotic radiosurgery system.
- Negotiated computer hardware acquisition agreements and software licenses for clinical and billing systems for a regional healthcare provider.
- Advised a cardiothoracic surgery practice in an agreement to provide clinical and administrative services to a newly established cardiac surgery program.